I have finally reached the end of the long, frustrating and valuable learning curve that was Typendium.
I've been collaborating with @Metzopaino for over a year on this project, and it was tough. We chose an app about typography to challenge ourselves, to develop new skills and expand on ones we already had. It was hard going working during evenings and weekends on something we were both pretty new to, myself to designing interfaces/digital art, and William to coding.
The app had a few overhauls in its appearance, and as the completion date receded further into the distance, I began to look back on the portraits I'd made and feel increasingly unhappy with them. I had made Stanley Morison first, and I'm still very fond of him, I think his position in side profile and the dividing shape of glasses were very well suited to that style. So when it came to make the forward facing John Baskerville and Hermann Zapf I really struggled to make something I was happy with. They looked naff, just very flat and bland. This may have been because I'd been looking at them for half a year at that point but I was really stumped as to how to improve them. Thankfully after months of looking at them in despair, toward the end of the project I had a spurt of productivity and was able to bring them to what you see below. I did some shape tweaking and colour changing, managing I hope to make them more consistent as a group. I often felt that they still looked quite basic and was often tempted to remake them all, but fought off the urge as they fit in nicely with the apps design and style.
Halfway though the project I got a job as a visual designer. Working in Photoshop every day definitely helped me get familiar with using colour and shape on a digital canvas. Prior to this I had only been able to have snippets of time in the program as my university work was mostly drawing on paper with 4B pencils. And so with a few months of full time photoshop confidence in my pocket, ignoring my reasoning for not doing re-doing them, I decided to have another go at the portraits. At the time I was playing with faux 3D model style faces, as in this image, and so chose to make both Morison and Paul Renner in the same way. I chose these guys because of their positions, as you might see in most of my work, I favour any type of side profile over completely forward facing faces.
I grew really attached to these images. And it was hard to begrudgingly accept that they didn't fit into the app that we had made. We were so near to having the whole thing built, just ready for the essays to be pasted in and the submission button to be pushed, that it would have been crazy to re-do all the assets just so that these guys looked totally at home. And even though I felt that they demonstrated my skills better, they ultimately weren't suited to this project. That was an important thing to learn, and next time I'm hoping I'll be more competent and therefore more confident.